Rude Awakening

I woke up early this morning to the unpleasant sound of pleople arguing in the living room. I tried to figure out what on earth was going on and WHY people were in my apartement... but of course, I'm in China and you know, people here speak chinese... Obvisously they weren't trying to be discrete so I figured it wasn't a robbery... I decided to go back to sleep. Fail. They started to use a drill.

When I walked out of the bedroom, the workers just looked at me, nodded and went back to drilling. I still don't know how they got in. I guess they have a key.

When I left for school, they were still drilling and I still don't know why.
Welcome to China. I was told I would be better off not trying to figure things out. Things just are and there is not always an explanation.

Later today, during a conference on Chinese culture, we were told that the Chinese don't have the same perception of space and time... and more specifically personal space and night time.
Ha!
Apparently it isn't rude to wake someone up, to make a lot of noise or to invade personal space.
I guess being 1.3 billion people in a country has something to do with it!!

Now that I know that, I guess the workers were just being nice and polite in their own way. Thank you for whatever you were doing in my living room very early this morning.

7 comments:

  1. hi Chelsea! I read your mom's blog so that's how I got to you. I can't wait to read all about your adventures. I work in an American university in the International Programs office and we have a bunch of students from china. It'll be interesting to hear your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to see you bloggine, chelsea...i too, read your mom's blog....it will be interesting to read yours as well....i love to read about other cultures and traditions...thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea,
    Comment from person #3 who reads your mom's blog. I knew her back in the day when she was at the monastery. Love all the pix of you and the fam. Thanks for taking time to tell us of your travels.
    Wishing you the best,
    Gail from San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chelsea,
    Le virus du blog t'a atteint ...
    poeple in your living room while sleeping sounds strange and scaring...but this is a new culture
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chelsea, I also read your Mum's blog.....will be interesting to read your perspective on China and your adventures whilst there.
    Smiles Sue from Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mais j'aurais été effrayée!!!!!!
    Whaw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is SO Chinese to have your space "invaded." It was difficult (for me) to get used to people staring and pointing-even when I found out that it's not impolite to stare (in china) I never got used to it.

    ReplyDelete