First Impressions (2)

(Monday)

Well we got the heater to work on sunday but we hadn’t realized the water didn’t work. Oh… I was really dreaming of a nice shower after 24hours of travelling. Oh well! After going down to the reception and asking for help, the water finally started to flow to the apartment. But seconds later the electricity shut down. The people at the reception (that hardly speak English) are becoming my new best friends… The electricity shut down again a few hours later when I was about to hop in the shower.

Anyway… The drive from the airport to Suzhou wasn’t so bad. We got a van (Buick) for 1000rmb (116€) that 4 of us could fit in together. Our first negotiation went well! The drive was about an hour and a half long. The roads are good –better than in California and since it was Sunday there weren’t too many cars so the driving seemed normal. Disappointing huh?!? Lol

So far I’ve had French fries at KFC (the only thing I could point out on a picture map and be sure to like) and an artichoke soup at an Italian restaurant in the “Upper class” district where we had dinner.

I’ll be more adventurous food wise another day!

After dinner we went to a bar/club! The decoration was amazing! Chandeliers and Chinese people all over! The music was different than what I’m used to but still western… more like techno-house style music. A few girls danced but that’s all. They all had high heels though!

It seems like the Chinese have dinner early and go out early like in America.

It's still VERY cold !!!!! And although I'm not jetlagged i'm exhausted !

We haven't had any classes yet.. .just different introductions and presentations.

I got a phone card but it doesn't work... They said it might happen. I'll have to go back and get another one!


This evening I went to Auchan with my roomate ! OMG !! lol It's all chinese stuff except one aisle with "international food" which means pasta, cereal, tomato sauce...

It was kinda overwhelming since I was really tired and cold... and I had just lost my iPhone !!!!!!!

My camera in San Francisco and now my iphone... is this bad karma or what ???

Anyway... I had chinese fast food for dinner... I ate some of the food, the rest I just smelled and put aside! lol But at least I can order... and get something ! No meat is hard !!

It's strange, some things are really different, like food and the size of constructions but there are a lot of european things here (Decathlon, Auchan, Carrefour but also food like Nutella, Barilla... at higher prices of course but they're here!)

The driving isn't all that crazy.. the roads are nice and so are the cars, in general.

A lot of things are cheaper (restaurants, food, taxi...) but it all adds up quickly ! And nice things -like cameras- aren't so cheap. I haven't been to the "real" city of Suzhou yet because it's a little far. But I think I'll go friday afternoon! And then I'll probably go to Shanghai this week end ! Now it's only 20minutes away by train !

1 comment:

  1. Try to make friends with some local Chinese students that speak English. They probably know where to get the best deals on things like cameras.

    ReplyDelete