Snapshots

... well I had more pictures to show you but for some reason I am unable to upload them !
So here are a few snapshots.


My luxurious Chinese apartment !

With a very hard mattress. But at least I have a mattress !
On my way to school there are many construction sites and we can see where the workers live. They sleep on wooden bunk "beds" (I'd call them bunk boards.) And they keep their windows open.
I can't complain.
The river was frozen this morning. That's how cold it is. I don't know the real temperature because they don't want to admit just how cold it is here so that people will keep coming.
The goverment considers that Suzhou in the south, therefore central heating is not necessary. hahaha


Daily reminders that I'm in China !

3 comments:

  1. That's not too bad! Rather nice if I think back to my college days!!! Thanks for switching to english on the website details! I guess you have a lot of your Mom's followers! Straight into the Limelight! :) I'm enjoying your thoughts... My best man at our wedding taught English at a Chinese University for quite a few years... He wasn't nearly as descriptive! Good Luck finding your iPhone and a new Camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chelsea! Another of your Corey's blog-followers here (goodness, aren't we just crawling right out of the woodwork these days?!?).

    As a translator (primarily Portuguese => English), I chuckled over the sign whose English translation reads, "No climbing! Otherwise bear your own consequences." It was obviously written by someone who's only studied English in school because "bear your own consequences," while comprehensible, doesn't sound anything like English as it is actually spoken/written by native Anglophones, or bilingual folks with near-native proficiency.

    Hope you'll post photos of more signs with funny English ;-)))

    Were you aware that the Chinese prime minister was in the US for a state visit this week, including a state dinner at the White House? Lots of TV and newspaper coverage of it here. Inter alia, our President allegedly got them to lower the rent(!) on the giant pandas on loan at the National Zoo in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own a sign company so I'm always interested in signs. I took lots of photos of them while I was in China. Aren't the translations hilarious?

    ReplyDelete