Let me take your picture

I love photogenic cities and places in general... Shanghai beat my expectations!!! The new city of Pudong stood beautifully under the blue sky -which I believe is quite rare. Luckily for me a friend here has a camera but doesn't like taking pictures. I like taking pictures but still don't have a camera. We made a deal.

(Unfortunately, I can't upload more than these two pictures... it just doesn't work. )


Shanghai surprised me. I didn't really know what to expect but I liked what I saw.
It felt so good to be in a big city again. People, activity, colors, noise, smells... Ah!

Shanghai, from what I saw, because I can't say I know the city after spending 2 days there, is a good mix of traditional and modern, Chinese and Western... Makes sense when you know the culture here is all about balance, Ying & Yang.

The train station, the metro, the infrastructures, Pudong... New York doesn't even compare!
And then there is the Chinese architecture, the small shops, the overloaded bicycles, the decorations for the New Year... that remind you that you're not just in any major city of the 21st century.

Starbucks, Burger King, Mc Donalds, KFC, Dunkin Donuts, Paul, Zara, H&M, Sephora... A Western blend with a big splash of China.

I think travelling now is easy or easier... From one country to another, from Paris to New York to Shanghai, shops & restaurants are the same or at least similar. If you're really starving and don't like the local food you can always find a Mc Donalds. You can walk into Starbucks or Sephora and be in a comfort zone.

I'm glad I can travel now... while cities still have a little of their own touch and culture. What if in 10, 15 or 40 years all cities come to be exactly the same all over the planet?

I'm glad Shanghai is close by. I know I'll be going there again soon!
=)

3 comments:

  1. You are so right! I went to Budapest in 1993. Western influence had just hit, dunkin donuts on EVERY street corner and a few Mcdonalds tossed in. It just isn't the same as the old world charm.

    On a side note, I had an issue like yours at McDonalds in Budapest. I tried to order a banana shake and couldn't because the menu was so hard to read. This was before pictures were everywhere! Hungarian was just too different... I would never make it in place without english looking letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'ai toujours eu envie d'aller à Shanghai mais encore en plus grâce à toi.
    La mondialisation est à la fois bien et inquiètante. Je détesterais aller à Shanghai dans 15 - 20 ans et d'avoir l'impression d'être à Paris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsa, what a wonderful experience for us...a personal tour! I can't wait to read more.
    bcp

    ReplyDelete