About the food


Ordering is an adventure in itself. We're never quite sure what we might end up with. Most restaurants have pictures that you can point to but even then... it's sometimes hard to recognize anything familiar! I usually ask for rice and vegetable, and I get something different everytime, depending on the restaurant! But it's all been good so far.

Being vegetarian adds a fun twist to it all.
I try to ask if there's any meat... the waiter answers "yes yes" with a big smile.
Then I try to communicate the fact that I don't want any meat... the waiter answers "yes yes" with a big smile. I like how the meaning of a chinese "yes" varies!


Yep, the have Oreo's and KFC. They also have a wide variety of there own cookies. The ones I've tasted so far are good :)


Ahh Barilla Sauce! The supermarket here (which is the French Auchan) has an "International Food" aisle... with pasta, tomato sauce, italian cookies... but still, I haven't been able to find salt. I usually add way to much salt to my food, so right now I'm craving pure salt!

I also miss bagels from San Francisco State University!
And milk.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting what gets through from each culture? I mean, oreos are yummy, but do they sum up American food? (perhaps) It's interesting to see the brands, barilla... Only in the past 10 years had barilla been a pasta sauce and even less for the noodles here in America (as far as I noticed where I lived...) I think you are lucky being 'half' American in China. You have English to help you and you might recognize or know of foods there... French products are harder to find in international shops...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few centuries ago, French was the world's international language, or "lingua franca" (ironic that they used a Latin term for it, huh?). Now, a recent book titled "Globish" posits that eventually most of the world will wind up speaking a minimalist form of English, with a vocabulary of some 1600 words.

    Chelsea, are Chinese students are eager to practice their English on you? When I visit the Azores, I find the locals want to do that -- even though I want to practice my Portuguese on them instead (LOL!).

    ReplyDelete